What is Denture relining?
If you’re a denture wearer, and your dentures have begun to fit less comfortably than in the past, you may wish to consider having them relined. Denture relining is a simple and affordable procedure that reshapes the underside of a denture to make it more comfortable as it rests against your gums. Relining dentures adds material to the inner plate that hugs your gums, either to conform to any changes in the underlying hard and soft tissue in your mouth or to repair and replace lost or broken parts of the denture.Your dentist will often be able to reline your dentures in the office if only a small adjustment is necessary. You dentist may also take impressions of your mouth. Big changes to the fit of the denture might require mailing it to a laboratory to perform the relining. This would mean living without dentures for several days.
When is Denture Relining Indicated?
Re-lining is a temporary solution for ill fitting dentures
• loss of retention
• food trapping
• abused mucosa
• as a temporary measure to maintain function of an immediate denture
• Whenever the denture loses or has poor adaptation to the underlying tissues WHILST all other factors and denture base material satisfactory
When is Relining of Dentures not enough?
• Worn out dentures
• loss of vertical dimension greater than 7mm
• significant mucosal inflammation
• poor denture aesthetics
• denture related speech problems